Some people are visually stimulated, others roused by touch. For me, arousal springs from the airy scents of a passerby’s perfume: splashes of Moroccan rose water, jasmine stirred over a hot summer breeze.
Nothing get’s me going like a bottle of santal – sudden hint of cardamom, twist of amber and brightest iris: careening through the crowd, exposing itself on just the slightest shift in the air. What a sensation! To recognize, and be recognized by just the tip of the nose.
Sure, we’re in the business of beautiful things, exotic textiles, those endlessly charming ceramics with their little fingerprint indentations marking their maker. But c’mon, at the end of the day, we’re all animals compelled to action, first and most passionately by that mysterious old factory (olfactory system).
The enigma of arousal is but one mystery to the climax of live.
In the words of an old friend, I follow my nose, wherever it goes.
As an added bonus, here’s our list on the effects of fragrance.
- Scents to Relieve Anger: Chamomile, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose and Ylang-ylang.
- Scents to Relieve Anxiety: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Cypress, Frankincense, Hyssop, Lavender, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Orange, Peach, Rose, Rose Geranium and Violet Leaf.
- Scents to Increase Confidence: Frankincense, Jasmine, Patchouli and Sandalwood.
- Scents to Ease Depression: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena, Neroli, Orange, Petitgrain, Rose Geranium, Sandalwood, Tangerine and Ylang-ylang.
- Scents to Improve Memory: Bay Laurel, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon and Rosemary.
- Scents to Ease Sorrow: Clary Sage, Cypress, Fir, Marjoram, Rosemary and Sage.
- Scents Used as Aphrodisiacs: Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Ylang-ylang.
- Scents to Invigorate and Overcome Fatigue: Angelica, Benzoin, Camphor, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove Basil, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Lemon, Peppermint, Pine, Sage and Spiced Apple.
- Scents to Deal with Stress, Nervous Tension and Insomnia: Bergamot, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Cloves, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Nutmeg, Orange, Petitgrain, Rose, Sandalwood, Sweet Melissa, Valerian, Vanilla, Violet, and Ylang-ylang.
- Scents to Calm Irritability: Chamomile, Neroli, Rose, and Rose Geranium.